Friday, January 19, 2007

Greenville, unite!

After a long day of work, I've found something that motivates me to stop my lazy lounging on a Friday night and actually write something on my blog. And it's this: the possibility that
O-CHA, the tea bar I consider to be the coolest spot in Greenville, is closing its doors.

I recently read in GSA Business that several shops in downtown Greenville had closed just after Christmas. But it hadn't crossed my mind that one of my favorite places would close its doors. Today, however, I got my enewsletter from O-CHA, and the message was a call for customers. Here's part of it:

No business owner wants to put out a plea like this. But, it saddens me further to think that there are many people who will start looking around downtown Greenville and realize that there is nothing unique left open here within a few months! If you believe in local, independent, unique business...then come in and buy just one item from us....it really does make a difference...the difference between us staying open and bringing you even more interesting food/drink items and us closing right along with 8 other businesses downtown.

So this weekend, or sometime soon, go have some bubble tea on Main Street. Don't know where it's located? Never fear.

I'm going right now....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to come! Yeah bubble tea!!!

Sat Jan 20, 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Yikes!

Isn't there some way we can get our taxes to subsidize it? :-)

Wed Jan 24, 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe we can count daily trips to O-CHA as charitable contributions....hmmm

Fri Jan 26, 05:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love O-CHA! I used to go - literally - every day!

But it's an age old struggle - small versus big business.

I wonderful if Starbucks has had anything to do with this...

Sat Jan 27, 06:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I really like about O-CHA is that it's so different. And I love tea, so the idea of going somewhere that has more than a couple of flavors of tea is exciting.

That's why I hoped O-CHA would find it's niche and do well. I think, though, that it takes *a lot* of success to be a lasting success on main street.

Has anyone heard more about the state of O-CHA? And more importantly, have you been? : )

Sat Jan 27, 06:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home