Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?

I’ve heard people talk about remembering the moment they heard that JFK was assassinated or that John Lennon died. Before September 11, 2001, I had never had that kind of experience.

Because of the confusion and gradual unfolding of the story, learning about 9/11 wasn’t a moment—it was an entire day. For me, it began with whispers in the hallway between college classes. When I heard that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, I imagined a small prop plane and thought, How stupid. After I learned that a second plane had done the same, I was completely confused. Later, the entire student body learned the truth at a university-wide meeting. That afternoon, I listened to the radio during work and then left early to watch the news the rest of the afternoon. My memories are vague, clouded in the confusion and jumbled with information that I know came later but seems to mix with what I learned that day.

4 Comments:

Blogger J.Mac said...

I heard about the 9/11 crashes while leaving Johnson Dorm for 18th Century Counterpoint. They had stuff on the TV in the basement. I couldn't believe the images I saw. JM<><

Mon Sep 11, 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Delaura said...

I am ashamed of mt first reaction. I laughed because I was convinced the person telling me was kidding. But when we were assured that it was the truth, our library training group spent quite a bit of time in prayer.

Mon Sep 11, 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in class (seventh grade) and our principal announced it over the intercom. At the time I had no idea what the Twin Towers actually were. Lots of fear for the following months of airplanes and the like.

May God make all things new.

Mon Sep 11, 06:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful idea, Des.
Instead of detracting from your post here, I'll post my memory of that day on my blog once I get the chance.

Tue Sep 12, 09:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home