Monday, September 25, 2006

A good way to start the week

Mondays are usually rough—and this morning was no exception. After dragging myself out of bed, getting ready for work, and riding in a car through the dark 6:30 morning, I got to work and headed straight for the coffee maker.

The sermon my pastor preached yesterday was playing in the back of my mind. I could hear him say, “The frustration we experience now in this life is there to make us look expectantly toward heaven. God doesn’t intend for us to be fully satisfied here.” And then he gave some great advice for overcoming those depressing Monday-morning-type moments: be thankful for what God has given you and hope—not the wishful kind of hope that we often talk about but a confident expectation of the future God has promised us.

Well, here (in no particular order) are the things that I’m thankful for on a Monday afternoon.

1. Friends: We had company over two diffent evenings this weekend and enjoyed talking, eating, and playing games (including what my husband now refers to as “the Risk game to end all Risk games”). Other friends, some very far away, were also an encouragement to me this week through e-mails, phone conversations, and blogs.

2. Food: I’m not a great cook, but I’m starting to enjoy cooking as I gain more experience. Yesterday we made Thai curry chicken. I love the variety of tastes and smells available. And I’m thankful for a modern world where I can easily try food from cultures all over the globe.

3. Coffee: Specifically, coffee with coconut creamer, like the kind I had this morning. Yum.

4. Prayer: This past week I was reminded again (through friends) of the power and privilege of prayer. I thank the Lord that He has made a way for us to communicate to Him, that He listens to us, and that He wants to give us good things.

5. Work: Yes, I’m thankful for work, especially the job that God has given me. Even on a day like today where most of my work involves e-mailing and writing news releases, I enjoy what I do and I’m thankful for how God has chosen to provide for us.

6. My husband: Any list like this has to include the man who has decided to spend the rest of his days with me. I love his inquisitive mind, his sense of humor, and his ability to encourage and lead.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it is any comfort Des, I felt the same way this morning.

Mon Sep 25, 11:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's the commute. :)

Mon Sep 25, 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful. I had another "Monday" this Tuesday! After a great week last week, this one seems even more challenging and it is easy to get discouraged. After grumbling for a couple minutes this morning, the Lord reminded me to make my own list of things to be grateful for and it really did help me to have a better attitude as I headed into a difficult day. Love you and praying for you!

Tue Sep 26, 04:14:00 AM  
Blogger Chaya said...

Thanks for the reminder!

Tue Sep 26, 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad my post was an encouragement to you guys. And thanks, Tim, for the info about pad-thai sauce. I love that stuff. I'll have to look for it next time I go to Saigon. :)

Tue Sep 26, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Hear, hear. As my friend sings in one of his songs: "Your love is why this life is good." (oh, and he means God)

Wed Sep 27, 11:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home